Law Enforcement Exploring is a career-oriented program that gives young adults the opportunity to explore a career in law enforcement by working with local law enforcement agencies. It is one of the Exploring programs from Learning for Life, a non-Scouting subsidiary of the Boy Scouts of America. The program is open to qualified young adults, ages 14 through 21, who have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher, and who are of good moral character.
Many Explorers are interested in pursuing careers in law enforcement but this interest is not required to be part of the program. Typical activities include:
- Bi-weekly administrative meetings and training
- Patrol “ride-alongs” with Plantation police officers
- Community Service
- Radio procedure (how to properly use police radios)
- Traffic stops (how to conduct traffic stops)
- Building/cell searches (how to search structures for people or evidence)
- Crime scene investigations (how to search for, log, and processes evidence such as fingerprints and DNA)
- Arrest control (how to properly defend oneself and arrest a suspect)
- High risk vehicle stops (how to pull over a vehicle deemed wanted for felony or violent crimes)
- Active shooter scenario (how to engage a gunman in high-risk situations)
- Hostage negotiations (taking control of a situation through conversation)
- Report writing (paperwork)
- Domestic disputes (how to handle domestic conflicts)
Participation in the Explorer Post allows potential law enforcement recruits the opportunity to observe law enforcement professionals and contribute volunteer service to their community.
Plantation Police Department Explorers compete against other explorer posts in both state-wide and local competitions. Without exception, we place among the top scoring posts in all events. The Plantation Police Department Police Explorer Post was honored as Police Explorer Post of the year in 1999. These continued accomplishments are due to the dedication of the Explorers and their police advisers.
If you are interested in applying to the Explorer Post, please call Sergeant Council at 954-513-3471. Click here for an application packet .