Are you ready to challenge yourself?
Are you ready to be a leader in your community?
Are you ready to do more than you ever thought possible?
If you answered yes to any of these than you are ready to
BECOME ONE OF US!
Click on the below link to learn about the opportunities available to you as a member of the Plantation Fire Department.
Benefits of Membership
Among the many benefits of being a Plantation Firefighter:
- Professional training in firefighting, EMS, hazardous materials, and leadership.
- Financial reimbursement for time spent.
- Credits toward pension and retirement.
- Lifelong experiences you won’t get anywhere else.
- 250 of the closest friends you’ll ever have.
- An environment where your family members are as important to us as you are.
- Work-related gear and uniforms provided free of charge.
Below are some FAQs about being a member of the Plantation Fire Department. Please review them before completing the Interest card.
If it was easy, everyone would do it!
As you are considering applying to become a member of the Plantation Fire Department we want to ensure you understand what is involved and what kind of commitment you will be making.
What is a volunteer firefighter?
- A volunteer firefighter does not receive a paycheck for providing fire protection services.
- Members of the Plantation Fire Department receive a $7.00 stipend for each event they participate in including responding to calls, training, and Department activities.
- Those members who respond to 20% of the calls each year receive a pension credit.
How do we answer fire calls?
- Volunteer firefighters are issued a pager.
- When a call is received the pager is activated and all available members respond to the station in their personal vehicles.
- A car is a necessity for membership.
What is the process?
- You will be voted into the Plantation Volunteer Fire Association as a Support member.
- Prior to enrolling in Basic Training you will be allowed to
- respond to calls
- ride the truck
- Learn about the apparatus and equipment
- participate in Association functions with your family
- You will learn about the Department and how we operate
- Meet some amazing people.
- You are encouraged to learn as much as you can while in a support role.
What is Basic Training?
- After you are voted in you will automatically be enrolled in the next Firefighter One class (Basic Training).
- This is a 206 hours, State of Florida certificate program
- taught in our own facilities, by our own instructors
- The class meets every Monday and Thursday and typically every other Saturday.
- Attendance is required and certain classes cannot be made up.
What happens after Graduation?
- Upon graduation from Firefighter One you are required to
- attend at least one drill each month
- respond to as many calls, day and night, as possible
- participate in station and Association activities (with your families)
- embrace your new life as a Plantation Volunteer Firefighter.
What Do You Need to Get Started?
- High School Diploma or GED
- 18 Years of Age
- Resident of Plantation, or live within 2.5 miles or five minutes of a Plantation Fire Station
- Pass a background check
- Pass a physical exam
Now, if you’re ready to make a commitment to us, we are ready to make a commitment to you. Click this application link, complete the preliminary application then email it to email@example.com. Or bring it by:
Plantation Fire Administration
550 NW 65th Avenue
Plantation, FL 33317