Click on the below link to learn about the opportunities available to you as a member of the Plantation Fire Department.
Benefits of Membership
Among the many benefits of being a Plantation Firefighter:
- Professional training in firefighting, EMS, hazardous materials, and leadership.
- Financial reimbursement for time spent.
- Credits toward pension and retirement.
- Lifelong experiences you won’t get anywhere else.
- 250 of the closest friends you’ll ever have.
- An environment where your family members are as important to us as you are.
- Work-related gear and uniforms provided free of charge.
Below are some FAQs about being a member of the Plantation Fire Department. Please review them before completing the Interest card.
If it was easy, everyone would do it!
As you are considering applying to become a member of the Plantation Fire Department we want to ensure you understand what is involved and what kind of commitment you will be making.
What is a volunteer firefighter?
- A volunteer firefighter does not receive a paycheck for providing fire protection services.
- Members of the Plantation Fire Department receive a $7.00 stipend for each event they participate in including responding to calls, training, and Department activities.
- Those members who respond to 20% of the calls each year receive a pension credit.
How do we answer fire calls?
- Volunteer firefighters are issued a pager.
- When a call is received the pager is activated and all available members respond to the station in their personal vehicles.
- A car is a necessity for membership.
What is the process?
- You will be voted into the Plantation Volunteer Fire Association as a Support member.
- Prior to enrolling in Basic Training you will be allowed to
- respond to calls
- ride the truck
- Learn about the apparatus and equipment
- participate in Association functions with your family
- You will learn about the Department and how we operate
- Meet some amazing people.
- You are encouraged to learn as much as you can while in a support role.
What is Basic Training?
- After you are voted in you will automatically be enrolled in the next Firefighter One class (Basic Training).
- This is a 206 hours, State of Florida certificate program
- taught in our own facilities, by our own instructors
- The class meets every Monday and Thursday and typically every other Saturday.
- Attendance is required and certain classes cannot be made up.
What happens after Graduation?
- Upon graduation from Firefighter One you are required to
- attend at least one drill each month
- respond to as many calls, day and night, as possible
- participate in station and Association activities (with your families)
- embrace your new life as a Plantation Volunteer Firefighter.
What Do You Need to Get Started?
- High School Diploma or GED
- 18 Years of Age
- Resident of Plantation, or live within 2.5 miles or five minutes of a Plantation Fire Station
- Pass a background check
- Pass a physical exam
Now, if you’re ready to make a commitment to us, we are ready to make a commitment to you. Click this application link, complete the preliminary application then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or bring it by:
Plantation Fire Administration
550 NW 65th Avenue
Plantation, FL 33317