Calendar of Events
Hurricane Irma Recovery Updates

Frequently Asked Questions (Update 10/26/17)

When will my storm debris be picked up?  Why am I still seeing debris along the roads?
The City is unable to provide a debris pickup timeline for a particular neighborhood. However, we anticipate the first pass to be completed by the end of October, and the second and final pass to be completed by the end of November.

There is an estimated 750,000 plus cubic yards of debris on public and private roads. While we understand the frustration of having to look at storm debris for an extended period of time, please understand it is a tedious and time-consuming process.  However, according to the monitoring contractor, the City of Plantation has disposed of more hurricane-related debris than any other City in Broward County.  As a reference, after Hurricane Wilma (late October 2005), the last of the debris was picked up with the final sweep in early April (6 months later).

One thing that will make things go quicker is to make sure any hurricane related bulk items (fencing, roof tiles, etc.) are separated from tree limbs and other landscape material.

The total estimated cost to the City for debris removal is $16.1 million, $11.8 million for public roads and $4.3 million for private roads.  Prior to receiving reimbursement from FEMA (which can take up to six years to receive), the City will draw on its reserves to pay for the clean-up.

Will they pick up on private roadways?
The City received approval from FEMA on October 25, 2017 to collect debris from neighborhoods and gated communities served by private roadways.  This means Plantation will be eligible to receive the 75% reimbursement of the removal cost.  Additionally, City Council voted to authorize contractors to enter private roadways and remove the debris.

The City began picking up debris on private roadways on October 26.  They will be included with public roads in the second pass through the City.

They’ve picked up my debris, but now there are leaves and twigs everywhere.
Debris collection contractors use large mechanical equipment to pick up the debris.  The equipment will leave some leaves and smaller landscape materials, which the contractors will not be raking.  Your cooperation is helpful in placing these items in clear lawn bags, for collection by Waste Management with bulk pickup.

My grass is dead because of the storm debris sitting on it.  Will the City take care of this?
Your grass may experience some “browning” if your hurricane debris sat on your swale for a prolonged period of time and prevented exposure to the sun and water.  This is usually a temporary situation that should improve once the debris is removed.  However, the City is not responsible for these types of repairs to your swale.

There is damage to my sod that happened when the equipment picked up my storm debris.
There may also be some incidental damage to the soil/sod when the equipment picks up the storm debris.  These types of minor damages will also not be repaired by the City or the contractor.  The City does not have a “sod list.”

Is there anywhere that residents can take the debris? It’s blocking roads and causing a lot of problems.
Broward County residents may bring debris to the Broward County Landfill, located 7101 SW 205th Avenue (off Sheridan Street east of US 27). It’s open Monday – Saturday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. They must have valid driver’s license to enter the Landfill and they must state which city the debris is from. Only waste from Broward County may be dumped. Bulk trash or C&D is $40 per ton and yard trash is $50 per ton. There is a $10 minimum, so generally a standard sized vehicle costs $10.  For more information, call 954-357-5330.

The City’s horticultural station off Cleary Road is closed until further notice. No landscape/vegetation material will be accepted at the Wheelabrator site.  Please notify Public Works of any road blockages by calling 954-452-2535.

Storm debris was collected from some properties on my block, but not others.
Be assured debris removal trucks will be making more than one trip through the City, and in time your debris will be picked up.

The truck does not look full, but did not pick up all materials.
The loads are inspected by monitors certified by FEMA, who dictate the maximum weight each vehicle may accept.  If the drivers do not follow these directions, they will not be paid for the debris they haul. While a vehicle may not look full, it may have the maximum allowed weight due to heavier tree trunks and large limbs.

After the trees on the swale are cut down, what happens to the stumps?
The contractor will collect the trees, and trunks that are out of the ground.  If the trunks are too large, they may need to be cut into smaller pieces for the contractor to collect.  If stumps are left in the ground the city will identified these after the debris is collected and try to grind them down to ground level.

Do we need to hire privately to have the debris removed?
It is an individual’s or HOA’s prerogative to hire a company to remove landscape material. However, should a community determine the need to hire a private contractor, the City will not be able to obtain reimbursement for the community, and the City will not be responsible for any costs associated with the debris removal or disposal fees.  Additionally, the debris cannot be dumped in the public right of way for the City to collect and cannot be disposed of at the City’s horticulture recycling center.

Can black bags with leaves and branches be mixed in with my storm debris?  Wood fence pieces?
Only clear yard bags may be used for bulk pick up of landscape and yard waste. Black bags will not be picked up.  You may place wood fence pieces alongside trees, branches, and storm debris. They will be picked up on the second passing.

How long will it take to collect storm debris?
There is no way to know when the trucks will be coming through individual neighborhoods. We encourage residents to place the storm debris curbside ASAP, separated from bulk trash.

Should leaves be put in clear bags?
You may place leaves and other small landscape debris in clear bags, and they will be picked up by Waste Management with bulk pickup. Waste Management does not pick up black bags.  Leaves that are not in bags need to be piled with the storm debris for collection by the debris removal contractor.  Contractors do not rake leaves.

Can I use black bags for debris?
Waste Management does not pick up black bags under any circumstances.

My wooden privacy fence blew down.  Can I put it on the swale for pick-up by hurricane debris removal crew?
Yes, wooden fences are part of storm debris that will be collected. They will be picked up with landscape materials by the debris removal contractor during the second pass.  They will not be collected with bulk.

Will the City be spraying for mosquitos? We have a lot of standing water in the some areas.
Mosquito spraying is a service provided by the County.  The City has already contacted the County and placed Plantation on the County’s “spray list” for mosquitos. For questions, you may call Broward County at 954-765-4062.

My neighbor’s tree fell on my property and caused damage to my home.  What will the City do about that?
That is a civil matter between the two property owners (you and your neighbor). Contact your homeowner’s insurance company.

I see perfectly healthy trees being cut down.
Any removal of healthy trees should be reported as a Landscape Code Violation to the Landscape Division at 954 -797-2225.  Tree Removal Permits are required in all cases, including trees suffering irreparable damage due to the hurricane.  The Landscape Division is only accepting and processing Tree Removal Permit applications for irreparably damaged trees at this time.  For more information and applications, visit the Landscape Division.


Quick Links

Copyright © 2013 City of Plantation. All rights reserved. | 400 NW 73rd Avenue · Plantation, Florida 33317 · 954-797-2200

SecurityMetrics Credit Card Safe