The Plantation Fire Department began as a volunteer fire department in 1957 with 21 civic minded residents including City founder, Fred Peters who served as Fire Chief from 1958 to 1959 and former Mayor Frank Veltri who served as Fire Chief from 1959 to 1960. Richard Stephenson served as the first Fire Chief from 1957 to 1958.
The Department began operations in an old warehouse located near
Broward Boulevard and East Acre Drive. In 1960 the first fire station was built on Broward Boulevard at East Acre.
Throughout its 65-year history the department has continually grown to meet the needs of the residents.
Fire Station #2, which also housed the administrative offices, was added in 1974.
The current, two story Administration Building and enlarged mechanics bays were added in 1996.
Today the Fire Department operates six stations strategically placed throughout the City. Plantation Fire Department currently serves an area of 22 square miles, a residential population of 88,000, and a daytime population in excess of 150,000.
Just as it was in 1957, the Suppression Division is comprised of all volunteers and boasts a roster of more than 190 firefighters making it the largest volunteer fire department in Florida.
The Rescue Division was added in 1996 to answer the increasing demand for emergency medical services.
In September of 1997 the Towne Mall, located at 69th Avenue and Broward Boulevard, caught fire and became the largest tactical, firefighting operation in Broward County history. The large fire was due to the roof construction which was comprised of highly flammable materials.
Plantation is a combination department comprised of a volunteer Suppression Division, career EMS, a Fire and Life Safety Division, and maintenance/mechanic divisions.
The Plantation Fire Department maintains an ISO rating of 2.
Plantation Fire Museum
The history of the Fire Department is well preserved at the Plantation Historical Museum, 500 N. Fig Tree Lane. Visitors are invited to take a decade by decade tour through the Department’s colorful history which includes the original fire truck, Engine One.