- Close Account request shall come from the party responsible for the account.
- Utilities services will be turned off the next business day.
- Request to Close Utility Account forms may submitted via: in person at City Hall during normal business hours (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, M-F); via email to Utilitybilling@Plantation.org; or in one of the 24-hour drop boxes listed above. (Note: Drop box requests received BEFORE 3:00 PM are recorded the next business day; drop box requests received AFTER 3:00 PM are recorded within two business days.)
- Property owners requesting to close an account due to the sale of a property must provide a copy of the executed settlement statement or warranty deed with the close request form. Property owners requesting to close an account due to rental of the property are responsible to ensure that the new tenants open a Utility account in their name. (please note account will remain in the owner’s name until the tenant establishes the account in their name).
- Tenants requesting to close an account, due to vacating the premises, must provide the name and contact information for the landlord/owner with the close request form. Only completed request forms with documentation will be processed. Outstanding balances must also be satisfied.
Security Deposit Refund
Security deposits for utilities customers with the City of Plantation are refunded once the City no longer furnishes service to the customer or 20 years from the date the deposit is received, provided that during the 20-year period no customer defaults have occurred. When an account is closed, the deposit is applied to the final balance and the difference is refunded. If money is owed to the City after the deposit has been applied, a bill will be sent to the customer.