NOTICE REGARDING CHRISTMAS DAY GARBAGE PICKUP
Waste Management will be closed on Monday, December 25, 2017. Solid waste and recycling WILL NOT be collected on that day. Residents scheduled for solid waste/garbage pick-up on Monday, December 25 will be serviced on Thursday, December 28. Recycling scheduled for pick up on Monday will be collected the following Monday.
Regularly scheduled service will resume on Tuesday, December 26, 2017.
Solid Waste, Bulk and Recycling Information
- Public Works: 954-452-2535
- Code Enforcement: 954-797-2267
- Utility Billing: 954-797-2290
- Wheelabrator: 954-581-6606
- ARC Broward: 954-577-4160
- Questions about your service? Call Waste Management: 954-974-7500
Each year the Solid Waste and Recycling brochure is mailed out to each resident in the City of Plantation by Waste Management. If you did not receive one, please call Waste Management (954-974-7500) to have one mailed to you, stop by one of the City buildings to pick one up, or you can download it from the City of Plantation website.
City Administration would like to remind residents of Bulk Pick-up guidelines:
- Bulk waste includes but is not limited to appliances, furniture, mattresses, carpets, carpet padding, yard waste and other bulky materials generated from the ordinary housekeeping operation of a residence, items too large to fit into a blue solid waste bag or roll-out cart.
- Bulk waste does not include construction debris or other loose materials.
- All items for bulk pick up collection should be placed curbside no earlier than the Saturday prior to your pick up date.
- Only clear yard bags may be used for bulk pick up of landscape and yard waste.
- Items that can fit into a Plantation blue solid waste bag are not considered “bulk” and should be placed in a blue garbage bag or in a toter cart on your regular day.
- Black bags containing bulk or other items will not be picked up.
- Waste generated by commercial businesses or landscapers is not permitted.
- Tree trimmings must be cut into 6 ft lengths and cannot exceed 40 pounds. Small yard waste must be placed in clear yard bags and placed curbside on your bulk day only. No limit to the number of bundled tree branches. Tree trimmings only – no tree stumps or logs allowed. Palm fronds must be cut and tied into 6 ft lengths.
- Rugs and carpeting must be rolled and securely tied in order to be picked up.
- Refrigerators, air conditioners and appliances containing Freon must have the Freon safely removed and an approved sticker put on the item before it is placed curbside.
- No electronics will be allowed. Electronics must be taken to one of the recycling drop off locations.
- Various types of bulk items must be separated on swale (i.e. appliances, yard waste, other bulk items, etc.). To prevent property damage and expedite the pick up process keep bulk waste away from mailboxes, trees, power poles, fire hydrants, fences, street signs and off of storm drains.
- To ensure the safety of Waste Management drivers, mirrors, glass table tops, window panes, plate glass, etc., will only be picked up if they are properly and safely placed in a rigid container. Any broken glass must be placed into a secure container and marked as glass.
Unacceptable items will not be moved in order to collect the proper items. If this should occur, the pile will be considered contaminated and will not be picked up.
- Household goods, such as appliances, furniture, mattresses, large toys
- Carpeting: flattened and tied with a heavy cord into bundles not to exceed 40 lbs
- Tree trimmings: cut into 6 ft lengths and tied into bundles not to exceed 40 lbs
- Clear bags of yard debris – shrubs, leaves, grass, weeds, etc.
- Water heaters, toilets, vacuum cleaners
- Refrigerators (with freon properly removed)
- BLACK BAGS
- Concrete including bricks or pavers
- Contractor generated waste
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Glass not properly wrapped
- Home remodeling or demolition debris
- Oils, paints
- Tires, auto parts, engines, transmissions
- Unbundled or uncut tree trimmings
Leaves and yard waste:
- Small yard waste that will fit inside a bag, such as leaves, shrubbery, small branches, weeds and grass, must be placed into clear yard bags.
- These items will only be removed on your scheduled bulk removal dates and only when placed in clear bags. Black trash bags are not permitted and will not be picked up.
- Black bags that are left out on the swale will be issued a notice by Code Enforcement.
- On either of their two garbage days, residents may put out a clear yard bag with yard debris as long as they tie a Plantation blue garbage bag onto each clear bag. Otherwise, residents may choose have their clear bags picked up on their regularly scheduled bulk pick-up day.
- Palm fronds and large branches may be tied into bundles (not to exceed six (6) feet or 40 pounds), and placed alongside bulk pick up items.
- For a nominal fee, yard waste may be brought to the City’s Horticultural Recycling Center, located at 750 NW 91st Avenue, off Cleary Boulevard. For a list of acceptable yard waste and applicable fees, please visit the Horticultural Recycling Center page.
Homeowners who leave black bags or unacceptable items on swales after bulk pick up will be issued a citation by Code Enforcement.
The City of Plantation appreciates your cooperation in this matter. For more information on this or other solid waste and recycling matters, please visit Plantation.org or call 954-452-2535.