Plantation Gateway was established in 1988 as a Safe Neighborhood Improvement District for the State Road 7 corridor pursuant to Chapter 87-243, Section 59, Florida Statutes (as amended) entitled Safe Neighborhood Act. Under the Act the City completed a “Safe Neighborhood Master Plan” that supported and enabled the City to establish as a special taxing district and utilize a maximum of two mills ad valorem tax on real property within the district. The City pursued this strategy in order to obtain additional State and local financial resources to address public safety and set the stage for the future redevelopment of State Road 7.
The District is located in eastern Plantation and bounded on the north, south and east by the municipal boundary and on the west by the commercially zoned property.
A District’s Advisory Board was established on 1995 by City Ordinance No.2055 to represent property owners and the business community and, is composed of seven members appointed by the Plantation City Council acting as the district’s Board of Directors. Advisory Board appointees serve at the pleasure of the City Council. Councilmembers may reappoint current members or may consider new appointments during Council meetings conducted on June of every year. The purpose of the advisory board is to provide input to the City Council and staff on how to spend monies generated within the Plantation Gateway special taxing district.
The Advisory Board is made up of the following members:
- Mike Hooley, Jr., Plantation Ford – Chair
- Jeff Burley, B&B Interior Systems, Inc. – Vice-Chair
- Kevin Bingham, Dead Bug Edwards
- Dwight Brady, Foreigntech of South Florida, Inc.
- Rick Gibbs, Rick Gibbs PA Insurance
- Brian Hodgers, Complete Choice Insurance
- Davis Pulikken, Plantation Inn Hotel & Lounge
The Advisory Board meets quarterly on the second Thursday of the month at 12:00 Noon at the Jim Ward Community Center, 301 NW 46th Avenue in Plantation. Upcoming meeting dates are as follows:
- December 8, 2016
- March 9, 2017
- June 8, 2017
- September 14, 2017
- December 14, 2017
If you are a property or business owner within the Plantation Gateway Development District and would like to receive meeting announcements and agendas or are interested in serving on the Board, please contact Carlos Andres Gonzalez, Redevelopment Administrator, at the Community Redevelopment Office at 954-797-2768 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org Visit us at www.plantation.org and click on the Special Districts tab.
Plantation Gateway Links:
- Florida Statutes Title XI, Chapter 163 – Part IV Neighborhood Improvement Districts
- Ordinance No. 1537 – creating of Plantation Gateway
- Ordinance No. 2055 – creating the Gateway Advisory Board
- Advisory Board Members Contact Information
- Board of Directors Contact Information
- Broward County Code of Ethics (Amended)**
*The City of Plantation follows the Broward County Government Code of Ethics