The appearance of a properly pruned tree is like a good haircut: hardly noticeable at first glance. –The National Arbor Day Foundation
The Department of Design, Landscape & Construction Management has compiled the information you need to maintain the health and beauty of your mature trees throughout their lifetime. If you have a question, contact Design, Landscape & Construction Management at 954-585-2360.
Plants and trees need water to grow. The most critical time is the first few months after planting to ensure that your plant becomes established in your landscape. Once your plants are established you will not need to water them as much, but you will want to keep the soil moist. Shallow rooted shrubs and bedding plants need more water. If your trees and shrubs are located in a place where their root system is restricted, they will need more irrigation than if they had unlimited space. Mulching can reduce your plant’s water needs.
Want to plant a landscape that conserves water?
It’s important to make sure your plants get the nutrients they need. You want to make sure your plants get the right combination of nutrients.
Mulch and Compost
Mulch – the City of Plantation offers free mulch as a product of its horticultural recycling program. The mulch is available to City residents and can be picked up in front of the Public Works compound gate at Plantation’s Central Park, between Broward Blvd and Cleary Blvd, at NW 91st Avenue and Cleary Blvd. You can help yourself to the mulch any time of day, seven days a week.
Trees and Severe Weather
- 10 Excellent Reasons To Trim Trees Properly
- Proper Tree Pruning benefits and types
- Root Pruning and Barriers
- Pruning Palms
You might decide that you’re pruning job would be better left to a professional. The general rule is that if you can’t prune a limb from the ground you should hire an arborist.
- Hire an Arborist– Here are some tips and a search tool for finding an arborist.
- Solutions as Alternatives to Removal - If you’re thinking about removing a tree, look here first.
- Tree Removal in the City of Plantation - The procedure if you’re considering removing a tree.
- Trees that can be removed without a permit
- Tree & Hedge List- If you have been granted permission to remove a tree, you will need to replace it. Here are some suggestions to help you pick out new trees.
NOTE: The files on this web page are in PDF format. You need the Acrobat Reader to view them. Get it here.