A group ‘Sharing Their Love of Trees’
Objective: The tree is the backbone of the city’s infrastructure. Like the bones in our body, they form the support and framework of the landscape. The City is committed to: Adding Canopy; Preserving Canopy; Restoring Canopy; Pruning for safety & tree structure. We look to replant, nurture teach and rebuild lost, fragile aged infrastructure. The Shade Brigade Team seeks to be the backbone of resident infrastructure building a caring and sharing body of people committed to trees.
Mission Statement: Stewards of urban reforestation:
- Understand Plantation’s tree canopy history.
- Learn tree biology – structure, roots, canopy
- Choose good quality trees – Florida Grades and Standards
- Select trees with single leader structure, when possible, and outreaching roots
- Learn many species of trees tolerant of our soil, climate and specific sites
- Promote tree planting – through interaction with the community
- Teach proper planting – Local planting projects
- Care after Establishment: watering, mulching
- Proper Pruning: Healthy techniques and hiring an Arborist
- Evaluating the canopy: age, condition, location, safety factors
- Identifying significant trees in the city
What Can the Plantation Shade Brigade do to accomplish this goal?
- Learn: Understand the mechanics and biology of trees and gather knowledge
- Teach, show, instruct others about trees
- Participate in local tree plantings and grants
- Respond to schools, individuals, HOA’s and those needing tree information
- Suggest tree species and identify Plantation’s noteworthy trees
- Meet your neighbors, make new friends
Attend monthly exchange of ideas meeting. Trade plants. Have fun!
NOTE: Most of the links on this web page open PDF files. You will need the Adobe PDF Reader to view the files.
Here’s the Latest
Water Shortage and Restrictions
Frequently Asked Questions
Water Conservation Tips (“GrowSmart” Campaign – provided by the South Florida Water Management District and Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association)
City Landscape Project Updates
- Cleary Boulevard
- Frumpston Park
- Happy Tails Dog Park
- New River Canal
- Peters’ Road Triangle
- Thrower Park
Outstanding Trees of Plantation
Community Events and Projects
Educational Materials & Articles
Tips From National Wildlife Federation Stewards