A group ‘Sharing Their Love of Trees’
Objective: The tree is the backbone of the city’s infrastructure. Like the bones in our body, they form the support and framework of the landscape. The City is committed to: Adding Canopy; Preserving Canopy; Restoring Canopy; Pruning for safety & tree structure. We look to replant, nurture, teach and rebuild lost, fragile aged infrastructure. The Shade Brigade Team seeks to be the backbone of resident infrastructure building a caring and sharing body of people committed to trees.
Mission Statement: Stewards of urban reforestation:
- Understand Plantation’s tree canopy history
- Learn tree biology – structure, roots, canopy
- Choose good quality trees – Florida Grades and Standards
- Select trees with single leader structure, when possible, and outreaching roots
- Learn many species of trees tolerant of our soil, climate and specific sites
- Promote tree planting – through interaction with the community
- Teach proper planting – Local planting projects
- Care after Establishment: watering, mulching
- Proper Pruning: Healthy techniques and hiring an Arborist
- Evaluating the canopy: age, condition, location, safety factors
- Identifying significant trees in the city
What Can the Plantation Shade Brigade do to accomplish this goal?
- Learn: Understand the mechanics and biology of trees and gather knowledge
- Teach, show, instruct others about trees
- Participate in local tree plantings and grants
- Respond to schools, individuals, HOA’s and those needing tree information
- Suggest tree species and identify Plantation’s noteworthy trees
- Meet your neighbors, make new friends
Attend monthly exchange of ideas meeting. Trade plants. Have fun!
NOTE: Most of the links on this web page open PDF files. You will need the Adobe PDF Reader to view the files.
Here’s the Latest:
Water Shortage and Restrictions
Frequently Asked Questions
Water Conservation Tips (“GrowSmart” Campaign – provided by the South Florida Water Management District and Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association)
Outstanding Trees of Plantation
Community Events and Projects
Educational Materials & Articles
Tips From National Wildlife Federation Stewards
Tip Of The Month