Welcome to the City of Plantation, where the grass is greener!®
The City of Plantation recognizes that global climate change is a real concern for our generation, and future generations as well. We are committed to reducing harmful greenhouse gas emissions, a significant contributor to global climate change.
The City understands that its employees, residents and businesses do have in fact an effect on the local, regional and global environment. We believe that successful environmental stewardship will:
- enhance local and national energy savings efforts,
- lessen the City’s negative impact on the environment,
- protect natural resources for future generations, and
- result in long term cost savings
We want to be a leader in these stewardship efforts by being:
- Example to residents – in the areas of energy efficiency, recycling, waste reduction, water conservation, and more.
- Educator to Plantation businesses and residents – communicate the benefits of sustainable practices.
- Influencer to Plantation development and redevelopment – update zoning ordinances and land use plans, and encourage private development to incorporate “green” principals into their building and decorating.
A recent survey of City departments shows that we are already doing a number of things to lessen our impact on the environment, and reduce, reuse or recycle many of the items we rely upon every day. And many of those initiatives, programs or policies have been in place for 20 years or more.
In 2009, Plantation was recognized by the Florida Green Building Coalition as a Gold-certified “Green Local Government.” At the time, Plantation was only the third City in Florida to receive the Gold certification, and the smallest. Even today, only 11 cities can claim Gold Certification. FGBC Green Local Government certification is a standard that was developed by Florida organizations for Florida cities, and is endorsed by the Florida League of Cities. It provides an action plan or framework that cities can use to move forward with their green efforts, and because of this, it is one of the most comprehensive, flexible and realistic certifications available to Florida municipalities today.
In 2015, the City of Plantation once again earned the Florida Green Local Government’s Bronze-level certification awarded by the Florida Green Building Coalition to local governments that make significant and measurable progress towards becoming a “Green Local Government.” The certification process is extensive and detailed, and required hundreds of hours of manpower on the part of Task Force members to review and verify criteria to be met. This hard work resulted in the submittal of over there hundred pages of detailed “evidence” to substantiate the City’s efforts in becoming a green City.
Additionally, City Council passed Resolution 10481 that formally communicates the City’s position, and its commitment to change.
For questions, call Carlos Gonzalez at 954-585-2330.