The 2020 Census is fast approaching. Data collected in the census will inform the distribution of more than $675 billion in federal funds to states and communities each year for things like infrastructure, health care, and food assistance. It’s important that we all respond to shape the future of our communities.
On September 11, 2019, Mayor Stoner signed a City of Plantation Proclamation supporting a Plantation Census 2020 Complete Count Committee. The City kicked off the Census campaign in which all Plantation residents are invited to participate. Let’s make “#Plantation Count!”
What is the 2020 Census?
Since 1790, the U.S. Census Bureau has conducted a census every ten years to determine the number of people living in the United States, as required by the U.S. Constitution.
We need your help to achieve a complete count in Plantation for Census 2020. It is not only your civic duty and required by law, but your participation in the census affects the amount of funding your community receives, how your community plans for the future and your representation in government.
Participating In The Census Is Easier Than Ever
In mid-March, households will begin receiving official Census Bureau mail with detailed information on how to respond to the 2020 Census.
It’s easy, safe and it’s confidential to respond to the census. It will only take a few minutes to complete the census survey – which will be available online for the first time.
- Online: Each household will receive a postcard with a personal code to complete the census online via computer or smart phone.
- By phone: If you prefer, you will be able to call to complete the census by phone in 13 languages. Language guides will also be offered in 59 languages.
- By mail: Call to request a hard copy form in over 59 languages to complete and return by Census day.
By law, the information cannot be shared with law enforcement, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Internal Revenue Service. Title 13 is clear that the data collected can only be used for statistical purposes and your privacy is protected
Why is it important to us?
Specifically, data from the 2020 Census will be used to:
- Distribute over $700 billion ANNUALLY for ten years in Federal funding to States and local communities for public services, schools, hospitals, transportation, public works and vital human services programs such as Medicaid, Medicare and others.
- Plan new homes and businesses, improve neighborhoods and create jobs.
- Determine how many seats our state is allocated in the House of Representatives.
Get Involved With Our Complete Count Committee – Shape your future!
The results of the 2020 Census can help shape the future of your community. There are many ways for individuals, businesses, community organizations, and others to play a part.
Our Census 2020 Complete Count Committee has been established and we are seeking volunteers to increase awareness and motivate residents to respond to the 2020 Census.
Add your voice to the groups already working to ensure a complete and accurate count in 2020. Complete Count Committees and partner organizations play a key role in raising awareness, answering questions, and encouraging community members to participate.
To volunteer, contact our City of Plantation Census 2020 call 954-797-2702 or email NPaul@plantation.org.
For more information on the 2020 Census, visit www.census.gov
Census 2020 Is Hiring!
The U.S. Census Bureau is currently recruiting workers for temporary jobs available for the 2020 Census. Locally, positions such as recruiting assistants, field supervisors and census takers and being filled. Some Census jobs start at $17.00 per hour!
For more information, contact 1-855-JOB-2020, the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339 or visit the 2020 Census Jobs page.